Festival to be held February 3 and 4, 2018 at the
Jane B. Cook Theatre,
FSU/Asolo Center for the Performing Arts
5555 N. Tamiami Trail
Sarasota FL 34243.
1. Play Length and Actor Limit | Each submitted play must run no less than 9 or more than 11 minutes—generally between 7 and 11 pages using standard play formatting. The cast may not exceed 5 actors.
2. Eligibility | Plays considered eligible for production by Theatre Odyssey in its annual Student Ten-Minute Playwriting Festival must be the work products of persons who are legal Florida residents and who reside in the Gulf Coast area of Florida (generally Tampa Bay to Fort Myers). In the case of collaborations, the residency requirement pertains to all authors. Students must be in grades 9 through 12, or home-schooled equivalent, during the 2017-2018 school year.
3. Originality | We seek work that is new, inventive, fresh, and is not an adaptation of another work. Submissions shall not have been previously presented as a full production before an audience of paying persons in any venue in the Gulf Coast area of Florida (generally Tampa Bay to Fort Myers).
4. Submission Limit | There is a submission limit of 3 plays per playwright. Regardless of multiple submissions, no playwright shall have more than one entry selected for production in the Student Ten-Minute Playwriting Festival.
5. Submission Guidelines | Play submissions must be made using one of the following two options:
6. Confirmation of Originality | In addition, the cover sheet must contain the following statement signed and dated by the playwright(s). In the case of collaborations, this statement must be signed and dated by all authors:
“I agree to Theatre Odyssey’s submission requirements and understand that Theatre Odyssey will only consider original work. Plays submitted which are based on any other published work, including but not limited to novels, short stories, films, teleplays, other theatrical scripts, etc., unless also written by the submitting author(s), are ineligible. I understand Theatre Odyssey will make final production decisions based on the quality of the work and practicality of production, and such decisions shall be final. If my play is selected for production in the Ten-Minute Play Festival, for the purpose of the festival playbill, I will provide the Company with a maximum one hundred fifty (150)-word biography in Microsoft Word, and a 5×7 or 8×10 JPG high-resolution photo. I agree to be present at the final performance at the Jane B Cook Theatre, FSU/Asolo Center for the Performing Arts, Saturday and Sunday, February 3 & 4, 2017.
In the case of collaborations, this statement must be signed and dated by all authors.
7. Deadline and Submission | All submissions must be postmarked on or before November 15th, 2017:
Send electronic submissions to:
Subject Line: Student Festival Submission
Mail printed submissions to:
PO Box 1383
Sarasota, FL 34230-1383
Download a PDF of the 2018 Sixth Annual Student Ten-Minute Playwriting Festival
submission guidelines HERE.