FOURTEENTH ANNUAL TEN-MINUTE PLAY FESTIVAL
To be held May 9 through May 12, 2019 at the
Jane B. Cook Theatre,
FSU/Asolo Center for the Performing Arts
5555 N. Tamiami Trail, Sarasota FL 34243
Best Play: $500 Award • Runner-up: $300 Award
1. Eligibility — Plays must be the original work of persons who are residents of Florida. In the case of collaborations, the residency requirement pertains to all authors. Applicants must be a minimum of nineteen (19) years of age.
2. Script Requirements —
Length: The play must run no less than 9 minutes and no more than 11 minutes.
Cast: No more than 5 actors. (More characters are allowed if actors may double.) A list of characters with a brief physical description of each should be included on the Entry Form.
Genre: Comedy, drama, mystery, thriller or monologue — but no musicals or plays for children.
Technical Limitation: Play settings should be simple, suitable for small stage or black box theatre, requiring minimal furniture or set pieces and limited technical effects.
Format: PDF or Microsoft Word, prepared using standard formatting for a stage play*. Pages should be numbered.
Anonymity: The author’s name must not appear on any of the pages, allowing the script to be initially evaluated anonymously.
3. Originality — We seek plays that are new, inventive, fresh, and is not an adaptation of a longer play or another work. Submissions shall not have been previously presented as a full production before an audience of paying persons in any venue in Florida. The online Entry Form includes the following Confirmation of Originality; by submitting the form to upload your script, you are confirming agreement with this statement:
I agree to Theatre Odyssey’s submission requirements and understand that Theatre Odyssey will only consider original work. Plays which are based on any other published work, including but not limited to novels, short stories, films, teleplays, other theatrical scripts, etc., unless also written by the submitting author(s), are ineligible. By submitting this form, I declare that the attached script is my original work and conforms to Theatre Odyssey’s requirements for the Ten-Minute Play Festival. I understand Theatre Odyssey will make final production decisions based on the quality of the work and practicality of production, and such decisions shall be final. If my play is selected for inclusion in the Festival, I will provide a brief biography (150-word), a JPG high-resolution photo, and a one-sentence description of the submitted play.
4. Submission Limit and Fees |There is a submission limit of 3 plays per playwright. Regardless of multiple submissions, no playwright shall have more than one entry selected for production in the Ten-Minute Play Festival.
• There is no fee for the first submission. There is a $10 fee for a second submission and a $20 fee for a third submission.
• Submit one play = no cost. Submit two plays = $10. Submit three plays = $30.
• If more than one play is submitted, payment via PayPal will be required before the online entry form is made available.
5. Deadline — Completed Entry Form, uploaded script (and fee, if required) must be received by February 28, 2019.
6. Uploading — Plays may only be submitted electronically via the online Entry Form.
7. Selection — The play selection process begins with evaluation by our team of readers, who will independently score each play according to their assessment of plot, character, dialogue, language, theatricality and their own emotional response.
8. Performance — May 9-12: Plays will be staged as full productions and will be adjudicated by three theatre professionals. Playwrights are strongly encouraged to attend the final performance, following which winners will be announced.
*We suggest you read “How to format your script” by Sam Graber on the website of The Playwrights’ Center: https://pwcenter.org/playwriting-toolkit/how-format-your-script — a correctly formatted script is easier to read and evaluate. A Word template which you may find helpful is available for download.