TENTH ANNUAL STUDENT TEN-MINUTE PLAYWRITING FESTIVAL
February 5, 2022 — 7:30 pm • February 6, 2022 — 2:00 pm
Jane B. Cook Theatre, FSU/Asolo Center for the Performing Arts, 5555 Tamiami Trail, Sarasota
Eight new plays will be accepted for production. A panel of judges will select Best Play and Runner-Up, with playwrights receiving cash scholarships of $1000 and $500, respectively.
The deadline for submissions has passed — no further entries can be accepted.
1. Eligibility | Plays considered eligible for production by Theatre Odyssey in its annual Student Ten-Minute Playwriting Festival must be the work products of persons who are legal Florida residents and who reside in the Gulf Coast area of Florida (Charlotte, Collier, DeSoto, Glades, Hardee, Hendry, Hernando, Highlands, Hillsborough, Lee, Manatee, Pasco, Pinellas, Polk, Sarasota, and Sumter counties). In the case of collaborations, the residency requirement pertains to all authors. Students must be in grades 9 through 12, or homeschooled equivalent, during the school year.
2. Script Requirements
Cast: No more than 5 characters. (More characters are allowed if actors may double.)
Genre: Comedy, drama, mystery, thriller or monologue — but no musicals or plays for children.
Technical Limitation: Play settings should be simple, suitable for small stage or black box theatre, requiring minimal furniture or set pieces and limited technical effects. Our productions will use large wooden cubes where possible in place of most tables and chairs, simplifying the stage picture to emphasize the playwright’s work and facilitate set changes between plays.
Format: PDF, prepared using standard formatting*. The author’s name must not appear on any of the pages, allowing the script to be initially evaluated anonymously. Pages should be numbered.
3. Originality | We seek work that is new, inventive, fresh, and is not an adaptation of another work. Submissions shall not have been previously presented as a full production before an audience of paying persons in any venue in the territory shown above. The Online Entry Form includes the following Confirmation of Originality; by submitting the Entry Form to upload your script, you are confirming agreement with this statement:
4. Submission Limit | There is a submission limit of 3 plays per playwright. There is no fee for submission. Regardless of multiple submissions, no playwright shall have more than one entry selected for production in the Ten-Minute Playwriting Festival.
5. Deadline | All submissions must be received on or before December 8, 2021.
6. Selection | The play selection process begins with three qualified readers reading each submission. The identity of the authors remains anonymous. An independent scoring system using a uniform matrix guides the readers in choosing the most worthy plays for production. As many as 8 plays are selected for a full production each year.
6. Judging | Three highly respected judges, selected by Theatre Odyssey, will choose a runner-up and the best play at the 2022 Student Ten-Minute Playwriting Festival. The winning play and runner up will be announced following the performance February 6. The winning playwright receives a $1000 cash scholarship plus a trophy to be displayed at their school. The runner-up receives a $500 cash scholarship. Authors of other finalist plays receive $100. In the case of collaborations, awards will be shared among the winning authors.
* We suggest you read “How to format your script” by Sam Graber on the website of The Playwrights’ Center. A correctly formatted script is easier to read and evaluate. A Word template which you may find helpful is available for download.